Webinar: Simplifed NASA Earth Science Data Access through OPeNDAP
NASA Earthdata Webinar Series
Event: Simplifed NASA Earth Science Data Access through OPeNDAP
Date: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 2pm ET
Open source Project for a Network Data Access Protocol (OPeNDAP) is a protocol for accessing and transporting distributed scientific data. It provides users (i.e., OPeNDAP clients) simple, remote access to large collections of data sets via the internet through HTTP.
OPeNDAP can be a particularly appealing solution for accessing large amounts of data due to:
- Ability to aggregate data from multiple files (e.g., time-series) in one transfer operation.
- Capability to retrieve and serve subsets of files.
- Does not require knowledge of native data storage format.
Through OPeNDAP, large, rich, and complex collections of NASA Earth science data (e.g. HDF/HDF-EOS) can be easily filtered and viewed on either a user's desktop or mobile device.
During this webinar users will be shown three different NASA EOSDIS instances of OPeNDAP and learn how to leverage these implementations for accessing NASA Earth science data.
Part 1: THREDDS Data Server - NASA ORNL DAAC
- Provides universal access to a variety of biogeochemical scientific data products.
- Provides ability to integrate distributed data products from multiple OPeNDAP services into your workspace (e.g. R) for analysis (demo)
Part 2: Application for Extracting and Exploring Analysis Ready Samples (AppEEARS) - NASA LP DAAC
- Middleware Services- Quick Overview
- Web-based - Extract data values from MODIS layers for point locations using AppEEARS.
Part 3: OPeNDAP, EOSDIS and Additional Tools - NASA ASDC DAAC
- EOSDIS/OPeNDAP Collaborations - Big Earth Data Initiative (BEDI) and Earthdata Search Client
- Use Cases - Tools that can access OPeNDAP (Panoply, ArcGIS Pro, etc.)
Participate in our monthly webinars to learn more about NASA Earth science data sets, services and tools to discover, access and use these data. View past recorded webinar videos.
Interested in receiving announcements for upcoming webinars? Sign up for our mailing list.
Last Updated: Apr 25, 2019 at 2:08 PM EDT